Top Five Finalists named for 2022 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award® Presented by A. O. Smith
Baltimore, MD – The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc., along with presenting sponsor A. O. Smith Corporation has pared-down the original 2022 Watch List to the nation’s top five quarterbacks.
The candidates are selected by the distinguished Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Selection Committee, a group of prominent college football journalists, commentators, announcers, and former players. The award annually recognizes the top senior or upperclassman quarterback set to graduate with their class. Candidates are chosen based on player performance on-and-off the field.
After 10 weeks of play, the five finalists for the 2022 Golden Arm Award are:
- Stetson Bennett, IV, Georgia – Bennett has completed 223 of 329 passes for 2,895 yards (68% completion rate) throwing for 21 touchdowns with just 5 interceptions, and a QB rating of 84.9.
- Max Duggan, TCU – Duggan has completed 180 of 273 passes for 2,531 yards (66% completion rate) throwing for 29 touchdowns with just 2 interceptions, and a QB rating of 76.3.
- Hendon Hooker, Tennessee – Hooker has completed 204 of 287 passes for 2,888 yards (71% completion rate) throwing for 29 touchdowns with just 10 interceptions, and a QB rating of 90.2.
- Bo Nix, Oregon – Nix has completed 219 of 300 passes for 2,775 yards (73% completion rate) throwing for 38 touchdowns with just 5 interceptions, and a QB rating of 89.0.
- C J Stroud, Ohio State – Stroud has completed 186 of 277 passes for 2,750 yards (67% completion rate) throwing for 34 touchdowns with just 4 interceptions, and a QB rating of 90.9.
The 2022 award winner will be presented the Golden Arm Award trophy by The Johnny Unitas Educational Foundation President, John Unitas, Jr., at the Golden Arm Award banquet and celebration at the Four Seasons Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland on Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
The namesake of the Golden Arm Award has a storied history. Johnny Unitas was an 18-year veteran of the NFL, who played his collegiate career at the University of Louisville before joining the Baltimore Colts in 1958. His career passing figures include 2,830 pass completions for 40,239 yards, 290 touchdowns and throwing a touchdown pass in 47 consecutive games.
Giving life to the commitment to give back, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. and presenting sponsor A. O. Smith continue to promote football on all levels by providing financial aid to deserving young scholar athletes. A. O. Smith is committed to creating innovative solutions that set new standards in the water heating industry.
Sharing a tradition of innovation with Johnny Unitas, who invented football’s two-minute drill, A. O. Smith has been an innovator in its industry for more than a century. A. O. Smith offers its customers an additional advantage in that the company designs, builds, distributes and supports the world’s broadest and deepest line of residential and commercial water heaters, as well as commercial boilers. This single-source concept simplifies ordering, installation and service and is backed by 80 years of research and innovation.
For more information on the Golden Arm Award, please visit: Golden Arm Award. Additionally, follow the conversation throughout the college football season on Twitter, @GoldenArmAward, and use the hashtags #GoldenArmAward and #InnovationLeaders.
Sponsors of the Golden Arm Award Presented by A. O. Smith Corporation include: MedStar Sports Medicine, The Babe Ruth Museum, Comcast, Dunbar Security Solutions, Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore, Haddock Investments, HMS Insurance Associates, Inc., Milwaukee Tool, Encore, TRAY, AE2 Creative, Wolf Professional Security, and ZBest Executive & Global Transportation Services.
About A. O. Smith
A. O. Smith Corporation is a leading global manufacturer and marketer of residential and commercial water heaters. A. O. Smith offers its customers an additional advantage in that the company designs, builds, distributes and supports the world’s broadest and deepest line of residential and commercial water heaters, as well as commercial boilers. This single source concept simplifies ordering, installation and service and is backed by 80 years of research and innovation. For the most up-to-date A. O. Smith news, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and visit http://www.hotwater.com/.